Wednesday 6 March 2013

Market Gallery Residency - Day 23

Today I had an interview for a Master of Fine Art Postgraduate Degree course at Newcastle University, and was pleased to be able to talk about the work I have been making during my residency.

Whilst I was in Newcastle I visited a few exhibitions including Timecasting at the Laing Art Gallery.


"Timecasting is a new large-scale kinetic drawing installation by Newcastle based artist, Nick Kennedy.

Developed from the artist's wider interests in the notions of chance, order, control and the role of the systems in our understanding and perception of the world, Timecasting can be seen as an experiment in recording time and making it visible through a mechanised drawing process.

The installation consists of a number of autonomous drawing devices, growing week by week to mirror the passage of time. Operating continuously throughout the three month exhibition period, each of these Timecasts will trace out a delicate graphite form on the paper it rests on.


Like the slow erosion of rock in a river bed over millions of years, the process of accumulation is organic. Nearly eight million seconds will pass in this time and with each one tiny, barely perceptible marks will register. Invisible in the moment, these marks gradually build to reveal order from apparent chaotic movement."

http://www.twmuseums.org.uk/laing-art-gallery/whats-on/exhibitions/timecasting.html


As I watched the mechanical hands steadily move around the piece of paper in a circular fashion, and I listened to the gentle rhythm of the hands moving, I was reminded of the work of Steve Reich, how layers are built up, as in the piece 'music for 18 musicians', which I was lucky enough to see being performed live in Glasgow last year.

I enjoyed talking to another visitor to the exhibition who likes to visit the exhibition on a daily basis to see (and hear) how it is developing.



No comments: