Saturday 16 August 2014

Residency at Dumfries House

Today I made my way to Dumfries House in Ayrshire for a week long residency running Friday to Friday.

I caught the train from Glasgow Central to Auchinleck, where I was met by one of the Dumfries House drivers who kindly gave me the opportunity to stock up on some food by stopping off at Tesco before heading on to my destination. Dumfries House is on the outskirts of Cumnock, and the Estate covers a huge 200 acres. 

On arrival, I dropped my bags off in the Coach House Flat where I will be staying, along with a couple other artists, and made my way to the House in order to meet Charlotte Rostek, Curator, who gave me a set of keys and took me to the Laundry Building which houses the four Artists' Studios. 

 
Dumfries House

The Laundry Building (The Artists Studios)


We then called in at the visitor centre and reserved my place on a tour of the House tomorrow. 


 The Visitor Centre

While it was still daylight, I decided to begin to explore the grounds, and meandered my way along many of red gravelled paths that weave throughout the Estate. 

I saw the lodge, which consists of over 20 apartments that can be hired, and walked though the garden along to the lake area. I followed one of the larger tracks away from the House and towards the meadows where cows were grazing. 

 The Lodge





The path took me over The Adam Bridge and to The Maguire Arboretum.

The Adam Bridge



Following my exploration I met the other artists who are staying here, Nikki and David. Later I met Rachel and Michael who are sharing a studio, but are living in a 2 person apartment a little further away from the Studio.

After dinner I went back to my studio and began to unpack some of my materials and get ready to start work tomorrow.


My studio




No comments: