Friday, 8 July 2016

Testing projecting the spinning video

Having done a bit of editing to the newly filmed footage of me spinning, I wanted to test it out in the studio and assess the light levels, the size of the image and get a sense of where to position the work in the room.

Over the past week Irene and I have been helping each other experiment with the green screen; both in terms of recording the footage and then learning how to edit the footage. Irene needed to increase the size of the green screen, so she bought a new one. This new screen comes with a specialist stand. I was immediately drawn to the stand, and think it could be very useful to enable me to try out projecting onto different materials at different heights.

Initially I set up the projection onto a large piece of table cloth. The material was far too transparent and the surface was not good for the projected image. Although I got the size of the character spinning to be the same size as me, the image looked small because the tablecloth was too narrow. It looked insignificant in comparison to the huge length of green material behind.

I then tried projecting the footage onto a white screen in the centre of the room. I used Irene's stand to hold the material. I think this works well. The screen has a presence and the scale works well in the room. I also like the way that the screen blocks part of the room so that you cannot see everything from the door. This prompts people to enter the room as opposed to staying by the door.

As I want a life sized projection on both sides of the screen, I need the projectors to be as far away from the screen as possible. I have therefore positioned the projectors facing each other in two diagonal corners. Set up in this way, it is possible to project my image life size.


No comments: