Thursday 20 August 2015

Experimenting with Lotus Leaves on a pole

I discovered these large lilypad-like leaves when in a Chinese supermarket, and had to buy some to use in my artwork.

I know that I need to introduce something of height in the space, and worked with a variety of materials to produce a free standing sculpture.


I do not like the white pipe used above because it is too plain and has no character. However, I do enjoy the lotus leaves on the pipe, so I changed the pipe for an aluminium rod that I bent in a way to be self balancing.


In order to maintain the balance of the work, I needed to alter the rotation of the lotus leaves so that the weight was fairly evenly distributed. This was trickier than one presumes!


I tried adding some of the other materials that I had previously been using with the sculpture, but they  were unnecessary. I'm gradually learning that less is more. As the wonderful Irene Brown would say, "Keep it simple, stupid!"


No comments: