Tuesday, 12 November 2013

New batch of moulds for casting

I've been making a number of new moulds with different surface patterns and textures.

I enjoy working with mundane materials, and for these tests I have made the moulds from cardboard. I like the subtle texture of the corregated cardboard, and at this experimental stage, cardboard is a cost-effective material to use.

I have made the moulds larger than any of the other square forms I have produced.

The mould below is a larger version of the moulds used for the Groovings exhibition; corregated cardboard covered in parcel tape.


The mould below has sides that are different to those ever used before. I made the sides by building up strips of cardboard and then taping them together. I then attached the sides to the square back. I am hoping that the layers of corregated cardboard are visible at the edges of the form.


To make the mould below I wrapped  the sheet of cardboard in bubblewrap, with the poppers towards the outside, so as to imprint on the parcel tape.                                                                                                                                                                        

The mould below was covered in bubble wrap with large bubbles. The bubbles are facing towards the inside of the mould, with the intention being that the imprint will be on the surface of the cast.



The mould below was covered in bubble wrap with small bubbles, in just the same way as the one above.




I poured the first layer of plaster in the moulds, as below.


No comments: