Thursday 17 September 2015

Shellsuit

This work began as an experimentation into screen printing. 


I had produced some drawings from silicone, and scanned them before exposing them to a screen. I then created a number of screen prints on various papers in a range of colours. 


As the prints were drying, I saw them layered on top of one another, creating depth and forming interesting colour relations.


The colours of the prints remind me of a specific item of clothing that my Mum owned in the 1980s/ early 1990s. 


The item of clothing in question was a Reebok shellsuit. I vividly remember Mum wearing it every Monday evening when she went to the sports centre to play badminton.


I recall the rustling sound it made and how the fabric felt to the touch. Just seeing the combination of colours in the screen prints brought back many memories.

No comments: