Tuesday 24 March 2020

Saying hello via snail mail



Self isolation is proving to be very challenging for me, but I'm finding ways to survive, one of which will be to send friends and family post. How I love getting a surprise handwritten letter, postcard or note. Or perhaps a drawing, a photo, a newspaper or magazine article that someone thinks I would like, or other curious object.

I bought me and my friend a box of alphabet postcards each. We both started with a box of blank but awesomely designed postcards and will end with a box of awesomely designed and personally handwritten postcards sent to each other. Sure beats junk mail!

The current situation seems like a wartime scenario to me, and I am reminded of the packages that families used to send their loved ones during WW1. Who knows, rather than jars of Marmite or other British items being sent abroad to those in the troops, will parcels of antibacterial hand santiser and toilet roll be circulated via the Royal Mail?

So, here's a thought, as you venture outside for your permitted bout of exercise, be sure to pass a post box and brighten someone's day.

No comments: