Monday 8 October 2018

A Poetry Remedy

Last week I was fortunate enough to have my first 1:1 poetry consultation with Newcastle University Teaching Fellow Sue Spencer.

Following in the steps of local poets Julia Darling & Cynthia Fuller and ‘The Emergency Poet’, Teaching Fellow Sue Spencer believes that poetry can help in troubled times.
















On National Poetry Day Sue was in the Walton Library offering students and staff a unique opportunity to interact with poetry via a 1:1 consultation. Sue listened to you and discussed whatever topic you wanted to talk about. Based on this conversation, she carefully selected a poem that might help clarify, illuminate, soothe and comfort you. 



I found this experience to be meaningful, helpful and stimulating. The poem that she chose for me resonates deeply with me and is highly appropriate given my situation and the conversation we shared. I hope for, and look forward to, more Poetry Remedies in the future.                                                 




Sue Spencer is a teaching fellow in Combined Honours and an alumna of the MA Creative Writing (Poetry). She has over 10 years of experience using poetry to facilitate wellbeing in education and health care. She has worked alongside The Emergency Poet and has developed a passion for creative approaches to reflective practice and personal development.

No comments: