Wednesday 25 March 2015

Systems, contingency and intuition

Today I had a wonderful discussion about my work, making process, my ideas and artwork by other artists that I am interested in.

During the conversation, three words kept cropping up that seem central to my practice.

Systems

an assemblage or combination of things or parts forming a complexor unitary whole:
any formulated, regular, or special method or plan of procedure:
due method or orderly manner of arrangement or procedure:

Contingent 

dependent for existence, occurrence, character, etc., on something not yet certain; conditional;
liable to happen or not; uncertain; possible:
happening by chance or without known cause; fortuitous; accidental:

Contingency

dependence on chance or on the fulfillment of a condition;uncertainty; fortuitousness:

Intuition

knowledge or belief obtained neither by reason nor by perception;
instinctive knowledge or belief;
a hunch or unjustified belief;















































































































































































































When considering my recent installation 'Zing', this is how these words relate to my work
System
I applied a system to the choice and order of colours for the sculptures. I followed the  colours used in a bedrock map of the Cheeseburn Grange to illustrate the layers of what is below the ground




Contingency

The plaster form on the ceiling was dependent on the prop being underneath it to hold it up


Intuition

The way that I positioned the various components and decided what to include and how to display them was based on my own 'gut feeling' or instinct































No comments: