Monday 24 February 2020

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

My memory of the film version of this epistolary novel, is, as per usual when it comes to remembering films, near to non-existent. I certainly don't recall it having such an emotional impact on me as the book has. 



Written in the first-person, Charlie who is in his first year of high school, leads the reader through some difficult times in his life. His simple style of narration is easy to follow and heartfelt, making it hard not to become attached to his endearing personality. Charlie navigates us through his ups and downs with friendships and relationships with his peers, teachers and family.

Despite not experiencing many of the situations that Charlie shares, his experiments with drugs and smoking are one example, I was able to relate to a lot of his thoughts and observations. 

It was at the end of the book, in the afterword, that I came to properly realise the extent to which the book has a power to help the reader. This has made me really reflect on how I want my own writing to have an impact in the world. 

No comments: